Giants of Cancer Care® Program Inductees
Charles L. Sawyers, MD
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Back to 2013 Inductees
- Was appointed by President Obama to the National Cancer Advisory Board.
- Recipient of the Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences that recognizes "excellence in research aimed at curing intractable diseases and extending human life."
- Recipient of the Lasker DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award.
- Played a key role in the development of imatinib (Gleevec) and dasatinib (Sprycel), two drugs that together have transformed chronic myelogenous leukemia from a fatal cancer into one that is nearly always treatable.
- Helped design the first clinical trial for imatinib, including selecting which patients were most likely to benefit from the drug.
- Leading a team that uses a new approach in finding a potential drug to attack cancer cells that have become resistant to enzalutamide (Xtandi), a targeted therapy for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer.