Giants of Cancer Care® Program Inductees
Edith A. Perez, MD
Back to 2014 Inductees
- Perez is a cancer specialist and an internationally known clinical and translational researcher. Her roles extend nationally, including group vice chair for the Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology and other positions within the American Association for Cancer Research, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, and the National Cancer Institute.
- Her work has helped shaped the standard of care for the treatment of patients with breast cancer and her efforts have helped advance understanding of the disease among the public.
- She is leading studies to evaluate the role of genetic biomarkers in the development, aggressiveness, and therapeutic efficacy of treatments for breast cancer.
- She describes her research objectives as enhancing the understanding of biological markers and pathways that drive breast cancer growth and development, as well as speeding up access to personalized therapies. This joint commitment reinforces the pursuit to advance cancer genomics and improve patient care.
- Perez is currently deputy director at large, Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, Serene M. and Frances C. Durling professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology/Oncology
- Her honors include the 2013 Susan G. Komen Brinker Award for Scientific Distinction in Clinical Research