Giants of Cancer Care® Program Inductees
Joyce A. O’Shaughnessy, MD
US Oncology/Texas Oncology/Baylor Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center
Back to 2016 Inductees
- Joyce A. O’Shaughnessy, MD, is chair of Breast Cancer Research and the Celebrating Women Chair in Breast Cancer at Baylor-Sammons Cancer Center. She is chair, The US Oncology Network, and is a member of the Scientific Advisory Board for the US Oncology Research Network.
- Helped bring to the market capecitabine and gemcitabine, cytotoxic agents that are now among the most widely used in treating patients with breast cancer.
- Developed the School of Breast Oncology®, now in its 14th year, and the International Congress on the Future of Breast Cancer®, entering 17th year, both CME meetings for breast cancer specialists sponsored by Physicians’ Education Resource (PER®).
- Examined clinical trial concepts and protocols during her 2 years at the NCI’s Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program (CTEP).
- Delineated new cancer drug approval endpoints with NCI and CTEP while a special assistant to the NCI director.
- Helped establish the NCI-FDA Fellowship Training Program.
- Chaired the AACR Task Force on Treatment of Intraepithelial Neoplasia (IEN), which published clinical trial strategies to accelerate development of new agents for IEN.