Giants of Cancer Care® Program Inductees
George W. Sledge Jr, MD
Professor, Medicine and Oncology, and Chief of the Division of Oncology, Stanford University Medical Center
Back to 2018 Inductees
- George W. Sledge Jr, MD, specializes in breast cancer treatment and has worked extensively to employ bioinformatics to improve the understanding and prediction of disease.
- Dr. Sledge directed the first large nationwide study (ECOG 2100) on the use of paclitaxel to treat advanced breast cancer.
- He has served as president of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), as a member of the National Cancer Institute’s (NCI’s) Clinical Trials Advisory Committee, and as a member of the FDA’s Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee.
- As chair of the ECOG Cancer Breast Committee, he oversaw the development of several important phase III trials, including the TAILORx trial being presented at this year’s ASCO plenary session.
- His research led to the development of CLEVER, a biomedical informatics tool that can identify distant metastatic relapse and locoregional relapse with high accuracy. Investigators will use this expanded bioinformatics approach to characterize the patterns and predictors of disease-free and overall survival among women with metastastic breast cancer. Dr. Sledge has published over 350 scientific articles spanning both laboratory and clinic.