Giants of Cancer Care® Program Inductees
COMMUNITY OUTREACH, EDUCATION, AND CANCER POLICY
Richard L. Schilsky, MD
Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, American Society of Clinical Oncology
Back to 2018 Inductees
- Richard L. Schilsky, MD, a specialist in new drug development and treatment of gastrointestinal cancers, has extensive experience and accomplishments in clinical medicine and research.
- Dr. Schilsky is senior vice president and chief medical officer of ASCO, the largest professional society of oncologists in the world. He is also a past president of ASCO.
- He was chair of the Cancer and Leukemia Group B from 1995 to 2010. The national clinical research group, now incorporated into the Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology, is focused on applying multimodality treatments to multiple cancer types.
- Dr. Schilsky has served as an associate dean for clinical research in the Biological Sciences Division and director of the University of Chicago Cancer Research Center. He joined the university as a faculty member in 1984.
- He has worked extensively with the NCI and the FDA, serving as a member and chair of the NCI Board of Scientific Advisors, a member of the NCI Clinical Trials and Translational Research Advisory Committee, and a member and chair of the Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee of the FDA.