Giants of Cancer Care® Program Inductees
Eric P. Winer, MD
Director, Division of Breast Oncology Center, Susan F. Smith Center for Women's Cancers, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Back to 2019 Inductees
- Eric P. Winer, MD, has designed and conducted clinical trials that have changed clinical practice and paved the way toward more personalized treatment of patients with breast cancer.
- Dr Winer was a leading investigator on the first clinical trial reporting findings from preoperative trastuzumab (Herceptin) plus paclitaxel in women with stage II/III HER2-positive breast cancer in the Journal of Clinical Oncology in 2003.
- In October 2018, he coauthored a New England Journal of Medicine report on the IMpassion130 trial results supporting the approval of atezolizumab (Tecentriq) as the first immune agonist for patients with advanced triple-negative breast cancer.
- His many honors include the Susan G. Komen Brinker Award for Scientific Distinction in 2018, the American Society for Clinical Oncology Gianni Bonadonna Breast Cancer Award and Lecture in 2017, and the William L. McGuire Memorial Lectureship at the 2016 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium.
- Dr Winer serves as chief of the Division of Women’s Cancers, chief clinical strategy officer, and the Thompson Chair in Breast Cancer Research at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. He also is a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and the co-chair of the Alliance for Cooperative Trials in Oncology (formerly Cancer and Leukemia Group B).